Wednesday, May 02, 2007






Its been some time since my last entry!!!!


Apologies to all.....I've been busy!!!!




We've been waiting for the dry weather........and...when it arrives everybody wants earthworks done pronto!!!




Andy and Baz came last week with a very big excavator......and whilst we not contemplating rerouting the A22, it seemed like a good idea to hire a meaty machine to push around the soil rather than spend a month doin it with a small one.








The gabions went in last week to support the 3 metre sheer face adjacent to the retaining wall and we also completed the foundations for the brick wall at the rear. I say 'we', but that's not strictly true....I watched and the others did their bit.


I was still trying to convince my other half that it had been a good idea to move in before the outside works were complete. Advice to anybody doing what I have done.....DON'T . It has to be completed driveway and grass in the garden next time.


I have been completing wardrobes in conjunction with our carpenter Nick, whose bad knee has recovered sufficiently for him to do the wardrobes with my very capable assistance. I've been itching to use this Dewalt drill for ages...and boy have I used it.


The trees have come down in the eastern boundary and now we get a blast of sunlight in the morning. The driveway is scheduled for next week so here's hoping the good weather stays for a few crucial days.

Ric ( our Swiss blogger) has done a financial breakdown..very interesting...and I will do the same when I can put that drill down for a second. Our costs are in the same ball park but as you would expect we pay a premium for shipping to the UK and the occasional use of English trades....eg. a plumber charged me £221 for 3 hours work the other day......£75/hour seems like the going rate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home