Sunday, January 07, 2007

Its the 7th January 2007.

And a happy new year to you all.

We have been away for the Christmas break and so have the Germans. They always take their 2 weeks and start again on the 8th....tomorrow.

The German sub contractors who left the site on tuesday before Christmas managed to 'trip' the electrics to our neighbour's garage and failed to tell anyone. The disastrous consequence was that their freezer defrosted....and this was just before the Christmas break!!!!. We sat there silent and disbelieving that this could have happened as we listened to this message on the answerphone.
Huf got it in the ear (holiday or no holiday) and I said I would speak to Rudiger about it when we meet tomorrow. Our neighbours were fantastic about it...but the damage has been done and I still feel so bad about it ....weeks after the event.

On a brighter side ...on the 2nd January, the gas contractor arrived to make a connection to the gas main. They left a couple of hours later with a brown gas meter box suspended on a acouple of bricks and inside....there was a gas pipe!!!!!!
Next day a guy phoned up asking where the new house was which needed a gas meter. he was standing in another road nearby which the old house (in whose garden I am building) fronts onto. I guided him to the new house but he sounded somewhat releuctant to do any work on this house. He said that his work ticket said it was a house in Chapel Lane and this house was in Dale Road.
Well after a couple of calls to his manager, he reluctantly agreed it was the right house and he would fit the meter...but only as a great favour to me!!!!
Job done and complete.
Well we just have the electricity to go now.............we made the application when the site was still growing weeds and now there's a house on it!!! Over the holidays I spent a few fruitless days on the phone to EDF.....I even got the mobile phone number of the guy who was dealing with the wayleaves..charming chap who got his bit of work out of the way quite quickly, but its the emdless grind of procedure upon procedure that frustrates everyone. There's an air of resignation in my voice now when anybody asks me 'So Bob, how's the electrics coming along then?'.
This house will probably have electrics at some time in the future, but as a precaution I am buying a gas hob rather than electric. (Just in case it never comes)
We finalised the kitchen over the holidays too. Pam insisted on choosing some fancy LED lights that light up the glass shelves on three of the cupboards....cost £600. I supposed I could have walked out of the shop in a temper, but when she offered to pay for them herself....I graciously accepted that solution. Why we want to light up the tins of dogmeat and bonios in a cupboard is beyond me , but hey I could be wrong again.....( I don't think so though).
So the Germans arrive back tomorrow................last run in now, basement finished next week then the painting and tiling.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home