Sunday, November 05, 2006


Some of the basement arrives!!!

The telephone call came at 7.10am. I was just getting ready to take the dog for its morning walk over the Ashdown Forest .
It was Baz (with the excavator).
He said there were a couple of Germans wanting to know "where they could put some materials in readiness for next week" How he gathered that given that he doesn't speak German and they didn't speak English I'll never know, but I said I would get round there as soon as possible.

I passed their transport rigs as I drove into the village. Very Large precast panels 3metres by 3metres and around four of these per trailer!!!!.

The two drivers were specific where they wanted to place the pallets of panels.
"dort ist das gut" was about all I could muster, particularly at 7.15am.

We parked them some distance (20metres) from the site, but they seemed confident that the crane would be able to reach them.

We had coffee and I managed a somewhat stilted conversation in pidgeon German, mainly dominated by the words "beer", "Guiness", "gluwein" and "alt"( a regional beer in Germany). All that seemed to go down well and they drove off back to the Channel Tunnel with another 8 hours driving to goon the other side before they were home.

It was then I remembered the dog....she would be still waiting for that walk!!

But the site is now ready........Volker wants a digger and dumper there on Monday to dig the strip foundations and then its up to Huf Haus to fit a very large crane into a very small area and start the basement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home