Thursday, October 19, 2006


19th October......The hole gets smaller again!!!!!

After days of excavating soil from my hole and carting it away to some place in Sussex where someone wants to fill a large hole in his land, we now embark on filling my hole up again with gravel from someone who is making a hole is his land. Follow??? I hope so!!!
This is called soil replacement and is brought about by the need to ensure that we have a solid and stable base to our foundations, otherwise the house would not last into the next century. This is something I care deeply about.

So the gravel has come in and the soakaway has been constructed at the lowest end of the site by Baz who is an expert in most things involving construction. The final preparation of the site now needs to be done and I will then telephone Volker from Huf Haus who will come and inspect before sending his team over to construct the basement and retaining wall. He says this will now be week 45, but could be sooner.

I have left Pam to inspect the drawings for the last time. We have 5 days to alter anything and I don't want that 'Oh, didn't I tell you I wanted that extra shaving point in that bathroom, and you didn't do anything about it' scenario. I've been there before , us wise ol' things have to take precautions at this late stage in proceedings. At least I cannot not be blamed for any omissions!!!

The building inspector arrived the other day, in my absence and gave his approval to all the hard work that had been going on. Also, we now have some fencing which is designed to protect the large copper beech ( in the middle of the site) from any wayward excavators as it has a tree preservation order on it.

This week should see the end of this phase of the work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home